I am getting ready to start a 6 week Paleo Challenge with my friend Alex, of ReBorn Health, LLC. I am going to be eating pretty strict paleo, concentrating on whole foods with minimal ingredient lists. The biggest change for me will be limiting the paleo treats and occasional paleo-friendly processed things that creep in. Also, taking it easy on the dairy, nuts and seeds. Also, the husband is promising to stop bring dark chocolate bars into the house.
I like to menu plan, but it doesn’t work for us to do it too far ahead of time. A week is great. More than that, and I find that when it gets around to week 3 I am not in the mood to eat what I have planned and then it isn’t fun. I also like to wing dinner a bit. To get ready for this challenge, I have basically developed a list of the recipes and dishes that I am going to prepare over the next 6 weeks or so. These recipes are mostly recipes I have made before, so I have all the spices necessary. They also aren’t anything too fancy, so I can just get stocked up on pantry staples. I am going to go shopping to stock up on meat, but just hit the store weekly to get veggies. I like to vary the vegetables most nights anyhow, based on what was on sale or looked good.
I have my list divided out by protein categories, with some veggie recipes tacked on to the end that I might experiment with. Otherwise, I will just have a lot of salads and veggies on hand to accompany the dinners. I have included links where I could and tried to note what recipes might be prepared on the grill or crockpot.
When it comes time to plan for the week, I can just pick what looks good based on our schedule, thaw out the protein and get some veggies at the store.
Remember, cook more than you think you will need so you have leftovers. Eat leftovers for breakfast! Eat leftovers for lunch. For snacks. You get the picture.
These recipes are mostly compliant with the Reborn Paleo Challenge, except to double check your ingredient lists, especially if you are in the first week.
- Chocolate Chili http://picketfencepaleo.com/chocolate-chili/
- Spaghetti Squash w/Meat Sauce
- Paleo Lasagna http://everydaypaleo.com/2010/02/11/paleo-lasagna/
- Burgers with Sweet Potato fries/chips (Grill)
- Tacos in Lettuce Wraps
- Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado Wraps
- Pork Carnitas (Crockpot) http://www.chowstalker.com/2011/02/crock-pot-pork-carnitas/
- Pork Medallions w/ Apples and Sweet Potatoes (Crockpot) http://picketfencepaleo.com/crockpot-pork-tenderloin-sweet-potatoes/
- Sausage and Sauerkraut (Grill)
- Sausage and Spinach Salad (Grill) http://picketfencepaleo.com/bacon-cookies-and-sausage-salad/
- Key West Chicken (Grill) http://picketfencepaleo.com/key-west-chicken/
- Cashew Chicken Soup – (will post recipe when I get it reworked)
- Asian Lettuce Wraps http://picketfencepaleo.com/asian-lettuce-wraps/
- Almond Butter Chicken http://picketfencepaleo.com/almond-butter-chicken/
- Grilled Chicken w/Mole (Grill)http://shecookshecleans.net/2012/02/11/grilled-chicken-wings-mole/
- Whole Chicken w/ Veggies & Sweet Potatoes
- Chili Lime Drumsticks (Grill) http://www.janssushibar.com/?p=10496
- Chicken Salad w/Avocado, Lime & Cilantro http://becomingbetty.blogspot.com/2011/09/avocado-chicken-salad.html
- Spinach and Artichoke Chicken Carbonara “Pasta” http://paleomg.com/spinach-and-artichoke-chicken-carbonara-paleo-pasta/
- Grilled Salmon or Mahi Mahi w/veggies and avocado over spaghetti squash (Grill)
- Tuna w/ warm bacon vinagerette and squash ribbons http://cavewomancafe.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/my-fitness-pal/
- Seafood Enchiladas http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/09/17/ok-fine-a-real-enchilada-recipe/
- Grilled Hake w/sweet potato mango relish (Grill) http://picketfencepaleo.com/recipe-rehash/
Eggs (using any leftover proteins and veggies)
- Egg muffins http://picketfencepaleo.com/egg-muffins/
- Scrambled eggs w/veggies and sweet potatoes
- Breakfast casserole
- Hard boiled
- Deviled eggs
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh http://www.realfooddigest.com/cauliflower-tabbouleh/
- Roasted Cabbage http://www.marthastewart.com/315062/roasted-cabbage-wedges
Salads (using leftover proteins & oil/vinegar dressings)