Possibly the greatest thing about switching to a Paleo approach to lifestyle and diet is the realization that FAT is a great thing. It makes you happy, keeps you full, curbs hunger & is important for overall good health.
Also, I get a lot of questions about how I got the hubby to switch over to a Paleo/Primal lifestyle so easily. Fat is the answer. He loves red meat, whole milk, veggies cooked in butter or bacon grease. He didn’t fight losing the grains while I was preparing meals full of meat and veggies cooked in and with delicious fats. He immediately started feeling positive effects from the Paleo/Primal diet and was on board with our new approach. On a weekday lunch, you will likely find him at the grocery store buying a piece of salmon, making a salad, topping it with an avocado from the produce section & having a piece of fruit (or a dark chocolate bar) for dessert. He is a professional at the grocery store lunch.
This is one of my favorite graphics that floats around the Internet.
I couldn’t agree more.
I wish I had cards printed up that I could drop into people’s shopping carts at the grocery store.
If I were going to quickly explain the differences between a Paleo diet and a Standard American Diet (SAD) to a friend, I would make 2 main points:
- Grain free (especially gluten)
- Increased fat intake
If you are making the “switch” to a Paleo approach, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of adding more fats to your diet. Simple carbohydrate and sugar cravings will be a problem at first, but eating fat will help to curb them. Eventually, you will begin to run your body efficiently on proteins and fats, instead of carbs and sugars. The number one piece of advice that is given to people in those first few days of Paleo is to eat more and eat fat. It also happens to be the bit of the diet that some people are the most reluctant to accept. Years of low-fat and fat-free marketing, along with bashing of the egg, dairy and beef industry have people terrified of fats.
If you are one of these people, here are some articles to read:
- Are coconut oil, saturated fat & cholesterol really okay? from Paleo Plan
- Big ‘FAT’ Blog Post, Part 1 from Robb Wolf
- Big ‘FAT’ Blog Post, Part 2 from Robb Wolf
- Big ‘FAT’ Blog Post, Part 3 from Robb Wolf
- Top 7 Most Common Reactions to Your High Fat Diet (and How To Respond) from Mark’s Daily Apple
- How to Become Fat-Adapted from Mark’s Daily Apple
The other amazing thing about eating more fat, is you end up eating less. It does take a bit of an adjustment period, but you find yourself taking longer and longer between meals. The upside to that, besides less hunger and more time on your hands, is worrying about “What am I going to eat?” less. Less Paleo or non-Paleo choices to make! Personally, I have some coffee (or tea) in the morning with a big dose of coconut milk and often don’t really eat until lunch time, or middle afternoon depending on my schedule. If I have a big lunch, I will follow with a smaller dinner. If I have a late lunch, I will just have a small dinner and maybe an evening snack of something like Paleo Cereal. The old rule of eating every 2 1/2 – 3 hours to keep your blood sugar in check and your hunger at bay just doesn’t really work for me.
Sources of healthy fats in my Paleo lifestyle:
- Avocado (Read Never Buy A Rotten Avocado Again)
- Coconut oil
- Grass-fed Butter
- Grass-fed Beef
- Bacon/bacon grease
- Olive oil
- Macadamia Nuts
- Coconut milk
- Coconut flakes
- Coconut butter
- Almond butter
- Cook it in or top it with a healthy fat.
- Veggies (2 or more)
- Maybe some fruit
“No Recipe Needed” ideas for incorporating more fat into your diet:
- burger topped with mayo or a fried egg or avocado, served with veggies sauteed in butter/bacon grease/coconut oil
- eggs scrambled in butter or coconut oil and sauteed veggies
- fruit smoothie made with full fat coconut milk
- B.A.S. (Big Ass Salad) topped with canned salmon or tuna, bacon, hard boiled eggs, veggies & olive oil/vinegar dressing
- coffee with lots of heavy cream or coconut milk
Interested in taking this “FAT” thing to another level?