I finally was successful making my own mayo. So exciting! I have had a few attempts, all were edible, but didn’t have that creamy, spreadable texture of Hellman’s. (For those that aren’t strictly paleo, finding mayo without soybean oil is impossible! What is wrong with soybean oil? Lots. Here is a link to get you started reading up on oils. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/#axzz1u90K6QEQ)
The key to great mayo is patience and room temperature. I used the guide from Melissa at The Clothes Make the Girl and all her advice was spot on! Room temperature egg and lemon, and go very S-L-O-W! http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/
I needed mayo to replicate my Mom’s amazing Cole Slaw. Seriously, I have never ever eaten any cole slaw as good as my Mom’s. I got pretty close with this recipe!
- 1 1/4 cup mayo (which is 1 of the above linked recipe)
- 2 bags coleslaw (the preshredded, washed from the produce section)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup vinegar (I used tarragon vinegar)
- salt and pepper
1. Mix the mayo, honey, and vinegar in a LARGE bowl.
2. Add cole slaw and mix well.
3. Taste. Add more vinegar, salt/pepper to taste.
4. This tastes even better if it sits overnight.